SPECIAL MESSAGE. Are Members of the Body of Christ Under the Law of Moses?
We receive many questions about The Law (of Moses) and whether or not it applies to members of the Body of Christ today. So let's take a look...
The word “Law” appears 523 times in the Bible of which 223 are in the New Testament. The Hebrew word “TORAH” appears 219 times in the Jewish Bible and primarily refers to “teaching.” To Jewish people, the “law” refers to both “oral” and “written” Law.
There are several synonymous terms that include the following:
commandments...Hebrew word “mitzvah”....used 181 times
testimonies.......…Hebrew word “yedah”.......used 25 times
statutes..............Hebrew word “choq”........used 126 times
judgments...........Hebrew word “mishpat”....used 417 times
word...................Hebrew word “dabar”.... used 1447 times
The “Law” refers to 613 commandments, the Ten Commandments, the first five books of the Bible, and to the entire Old Testament (Jewish Bible - TANAKH). The “Law” is forever settled in the heavens (Psalm 119:89) and is “perfect, right, pure, clean, true, righteous, holy, good, just” and “endures forever” (Psalm 19:7-9; Romans 7:12). The “Law” cleanses, revives, warns, gives direction and understanding (Psalm 119). It does NOT refer to tradition, be sure to read Matthew 15:6-9. The “Law” is more desirable than gold (Psalm 19:10).
THE PROBLEM WITH THE LAW
1. It CANNOT give spiritual life - 2 Cor. 3:6; Galatians 3:21
2. It CANNOT make us righteous before God - Romans 3:20, Romans 3:28; Galatians 2:16; James 2:10
3. It CANNOT take away our sin - Hebrews 10:1-4
4. It CANNOT cancel the promise of God to Abraham - Galatians 3:16-17
THE PURPOSE OF THE LAW
1. It relates primarily to Israel - Deuteronomy 4:1-2, Deuteronomy 4:8, Deuteronomy 4:44-45; Deuteronomy 5:1-3; Deuteronomy 6:1-3; Romans 9:4
2. It removes our ignorance of sin - Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; Galatians 3:19; 1 John 3:4
3. It reflects the character of God Himself - Romans 7:12, Romans 7:22, Romans 7:25; Romans 8:7
4. It regulates society - made for the non-believer - 1 Timothy 1:9-10
5. It reinforces our need of a Savior and that Justification is by Faith ALONE - Matthew 5:17-18; Galatians 2:19-21; Galatians 3:19-25
TWO GREAT DANGERS
It is difficult to be “balanced” in our understanding, interpretation, and application of the “Law.” A person can wind up falling into one of two great ditches in relationship to the “Law.”
The First Ditch: LEGALISM - This is the belief that keeping the Law and its requirements is essential for salvation and/or Christian life and growth.
Galatians 3:1-3 speaks of this danger and warns the believers about it.
The Second Ditch: LIBERTARIANISM - This is the belief that our freedom in Christ allows us to sin without facing any consequences.
Pay attention….Believers are NOT free to sin or to disobey God. We don’t make up the rules...God does! But, we also need to understand that our forgiveness comes through the shedding of Blood, the Death, and the Resurrection of our LORD Jesus Christ, and NOT through our works or performance. We cannot earn, maintain, or deserve the Grace of God, and we cannot be Righteous, or maintain righteousness, by what we do or do not do. That comes solely through the work of our LORD Who declares us righteous on the basis of our exercising of The Faith in the finished work of our LORD Jesus, Who died for ALL of our sins, and rose again for our justification.
MAY GOD GIVE US ALL WISDOM FROM HIS WORD ALONE!
“Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved” Acts 16:31, while there is still time!
So There You Have it!
Spread this message to everyone you know, far and wide. The time is short
Grace be to you and peace, from God: our Father, and The LORD Jesus Christ.
In The LORD Jesus Christ,
The Lion and Lamb Ministry
Pastor David Picos, D.D.
Minister and Ambassador for Christ in the Ministry of Reconciliation (2 Cor. 5:18-20)